VMware Security Update for DoS problem among vulnerabilities, kernel source code leaks
VMware, virtualization software manager, has issued a security update for its vSphere API. This resolves a denial-of-service problem in ESX and ESXi. The ESX is a bare metal hypervisor, capable of enterprise level environments, where it doesn’t need a 3rd party operating system to run. Also, quite a few security updates were issued as part of this update.
The patch affects the following releases: VMware ESXi 4.1 without patch ESXi410-201211401-SG and VMware ESX 4.1 without patches ESX410-201211401-SG, ESX410-201211402-SG, ESX410-201211405-SG, and ESX410-201211407-SG.
Read more about the advisory, plus details on how to update.
This security update comes after, just over a week ago, Anonymous hacker “Stun” leaked the source code of ESX. The leak was first found out with a Twitter update, followed by the torrent posted on 1337x.org.
“Which VMware has succeed to ignore and continue producing on same level like it’s buddy Symantec did. Bullshitting people and selling crap. But it’s time for Anonymous finally to deliver,” said “Stun”.
Iain Mulholland, director of platform security for VMware, commented on the story:
It is possible that more related files will be posted in the future. We take customer security seriously and have engaged our VMware Security Response Center to thoroughly investigate.
Ensuring customer security is our top priority. As a matter of best practices with respect to security, VMware strongly encourages all customers to apply the latest product updates and security patches made available for their specific environment.
This also apparently is linked back to an April 2012 incident, where information was leaked also.
The kernel is apparently dated back to between 1998-2004, the years of which the kernel for VMware products was developed.
Users are encouraged to update their products with the latest product updates and security patches.
About Jay PfoutzFull time computer security consultant
- Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. -Proverb 30:5 2 hours ago
- Behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. -Revelation 22:12 14 hours ago
- The Lord hears us when we cry out! "Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice." -Psalm 55:17 17 hours ago
- Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. -John 8:32 21 hours ago
- Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. -Psalm 51:10 1 day ago