VMware Security Update for DoS problem among vulnerabilities, kernel source code leaks
VMware, virtualization software manager, has issued a security update for its vSphere API. This resolves a denial-of-service problem in ESX and ESXi. The ESX is a bare metal hypervisor, capable of enterprise level environments, where it doesn’t need a 3rd party operating system to run. Also, quite a few security updates were issued as part of this update.
The patch affects the following releases: VMware ESXi 4.1 without patch ESXi410-201211401-SG and VMware ESX 4.1 without patches ESX410-201211401-SG, ESX410-201211402-SG, ESX410-201211405-SG, and ESX410-201211407-SG.
Read more about the advisory, plus details on how to update.
This security update comes after, just over a week ago, Anonymous hacker “Stun” leaked the source code of ESX. The leak was first found out with a Twitter update, followed by the torrent posted on 1337x.org.
“Which VMware has succeed to ignore and continue producing on same level like it’s buddy Symantec did. Bullshitting people and selling crap. But it’s time for Anonymous finally to deliver,” said “Stun”.
Iain Mulholland, director of platform security for VMware, commented on the story:
It is possible that more related files will be posted in the future. We take customer security seriously and have engaged our VMware Security Response Center to thoroughly investigate.
Ensuring customer security is our top priority. As a matter of best practices with respect to security, VMware strongly encourages all customers to apply the latest product updates and security patches made available for their specific environment.
This also apparently is linked back to an April 2012 incident, where information was leaked also.
The kernel is apparently dated back to between 1998-2004, the years of which the kernel for VMware products was developed.
Users are encouraged to update their products with the latest product updates and security patches.
About Jay PfoutzMarketer
- All the trouble in the world can't hold off God's Love for you! No matter what happens, He WILL see you through! -Jay http://t.co/zExsGLZMzd 1 day ago
- Pictures of Christ in Cain and Abel: In the story of Cain and Abel, Cain was a farmer and Abel was a shepherd.... bit.ly/1I7hZIo 2 days ago
- I've entered to win an ASUS Chromebook Flip with @MakeUseOf ! makeuseof.com/tag/dont-lose-… #giveaway #competition 2 days ago
- Is it a Chromebook? Is it tablet? NO, IT'S THE ASUS CHROMEBOOK FLIP! youtu.be/o9O_uJxlE3U 2 days ago
- It's great to dwell in unity with everyone in the Kingdom of God. Love to you all! -Jay Pfoutz http://t.co/Gq6GGitIzJ 3 days ago